Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Arabelle's Shadows by Fleur Gaskin

Title: Arabelle's Shadows
Author: Fleur Gaskin
Overview
Everything in Arabelle's life is coming together. She has confidence, great friends, she's even dating Naak, a wealthy Thai socialite. But there are too many models in Bangkok. Arabelle’s broke, she can’t find an agent in New York, and Naak isn’t as wonderful as he first appears. Slowly the Shadows creep back into Arabelle’s mind, bringing with them thoughts of hopelessness and despair. The vile Shadows know something Arabelle’s refusing to remember and, if she’s not careful, they’ll use it to destroy her. Based on a true story, Arabelle’s Shadows takes us on a journey through the struggles of growing up, not quite making it as an international model, and attempting to overcome a crushing depression.

Review
I loved the writing style of this book. It was very different from other common books I've read and helped broden my horizons. Also, I always thought being a model would be like living the life but after reading this book, I relised its not all perfect and I guess everything has its own flaws.

This is a book about a person's struggles and the depression they go through during their life. Arabelle wants to be an actress but meanwhile, she tries to hit it big with modelling. So far, she hasn't gotten any major success and later on we find out that there are voices in her head telling her horrid things such as her not being worthy of love. In this book, we get to see Arabelle struggle through her depression and keep it under control. There were times where we had glimpses of hope when certain scenes were happy and I just really wanted everything to turn out right for her. Whether it did or not, you will have to read and find out! I loved the friends and people she met, as well as the places she visited all over Asia and Europe, it kinda makes me want to travel around the world.

I really enjoyed the book, it is quite inspiring and really brings out the reality in the world today. However, at times, I found it was quite hard to keep up with the dates as the book is written as a journal. Also, there were just a little too many names for me to remember. Overall, a very deep and emotional book which I will be thinking of for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment